Archive for September, 2011

More Dyeing Fun
September 20, 2011

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Perry and I had a busy weekend out in the desert. We had our wonderful friends Lenore and Randy out for the weekend for Perry and Lenore’s birthdays. I cooked for 30. Perry made some awesome green ware from his slip castings and I got caught up on some dyeing. I dyed a bunch of personal items like towels for desertwonderland, dish towels for SB and some cloths for myself. But the best by far was getting to do some more upholstery fabric. I have a number of chair frames that I want to recover but have none of my own fabric to upholster them in. The autumnal fabric is for a wing chair & ottoman. The blue piece and orange piece will become ottomans of my own creation.  FUN, FUN, FUN…

Advertisements

The Blue Dream
September 20, 2011

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I call this chair The Blue Dream.This little beauty came together pretty quickly once I was able to work on it. There are several earlier posts on the fabric dyeing process.  There are a number of “faces” that appear in the dye process but I decided I didn’t want to feature them because I wanted the chair to seem more etherial and less spooky.  I had even considered using a wing chair frame for this fabric but I thought the general impression with that frame would had seemed more macabre… not something I reach for in my work.
I love the lines of this chair. Even recovered the frame speaks of a specific era. I am not sure what year this chair was made but I think it is late 40’s.  This was a craigslist find that I picked up for free.
I love the way the fabric went on. The base fabric is a fine whale corduroy and it has a little stretch to it. That work in my favor when contouring all these curvy lines.
The funny thing about this chair is that I was working on the earlier posting and it was giving me grief… So I put away that project for the day and began working on The Blue Dream. I completely finished it in a mater of 9 hrs or so I had already refinished the legs with distressed milk paint coated with poly-acrylic. Not to mention that I completely re-tied the springs and re-built the seat and applied the seat fabric.

I am very pleased with the way this chair came out…

Rattan with an attitude
September 14, 2011

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This lovely little rattan settee and ottoman caused me a tremendous amount of grief. It turned out beautifully but boy oh boy, it did not want to be reupholstered. I reapplied on inside arm 4 times. This project taught me what a bad day of Upholstery can be like. Fortunately, I still like Upholstery!!!

I replaced the rattan wrapped at the base of the legs and stained it. The client allowed me to make some subtle detailing changes. I am very please with the results. Oh… And I learned another valuable lesson. Never work in white!

<a